Critical Reflection

SIE 2016: Effective Communication was my first experience with university life. When I was introduced with this module on my first day, the initial impression I had with this module was that it is similar to what I have gone through back in poly. I thought that it would be a waste of time and energy. However, this module made me unlearn and relearn the knowledge that I thought I knew.

The class was interactive, which makes it more engaging and real. By speaking publicly, I am able to build my confidence, which allows me to express my thoughts on a deeper level. I find that this is important as an engineering student. In engineering, it is impossible for us to look at things on the surface level. This module improved my analytical thinking, and I have become more critical when learning new things. On top of that, I have learned the importance of communication and how it helps everyone in our day-to-day life. As I have said in my Formal Letter, listening to the people around you is crucial when it comes to communication. When we pause and listen, we take in the knowledge and what we learned will be reflected later on by our actions. 

All the skills that I have acquired above became evident when we started our project work. To be more efficient working with my group mates, I had to be able to communicate clearly to each of them. We also had to be understanding with one another, and adapt to each other's strengths and weaknesses. Instead of pointing fingers when the situation was not in our favour, we managed to overcome the issue by looking at the positives. With this better understanding, we are able to deflect the negatives and flip it into positives, further boosting our morale. When morales are high, working together is as easy as water flowing in the rivers. The prison encasing our ideas in our minds are unlocked and we excel in or progress. The oral presentation also gave us first-hand experience on what it means to be professionals. Originally, I have always had the impression that a presentation would mean going through slides and points. While this is partly true, this module definitely made me change my method of presenting. I became more confident and my actions while presenting became even more graceful and natural.

Overall, this module certainly made me rethink the meaning of communication. Furthermore, not only did it upgrade my communication skills, but also it made me reconstruct what I feel about life. We are not the only ones living in this world. Whether we are introverted or extroverted, we are bound to interact with others one way or another. We can try to avoid any means of communication, but even then our actions will leave a trail that will affect the people around us, and this in turn will cause a butterfly effect, further influencing the next generations. Therefore, it is crucial for us to polish the way we communicate so that we do not leave unwanted ramifications.

I am sure that this will not only assist me in my university life, but also my life in general. When researching, I will activate the analytical and critical mind which I have developed from this module. When interacting, I will focus more on the points the other party is making so that I have a better understanding of our interaction. All in all, I will take whatever I have learned in this module with me for the rest of my life, as it is very beneficial for my future. I would like to give a huge thanks to my professor and course mates for being part of this journey of self development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

Technical Report Draft 1

Summary Reader Response - Draft 2