Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

Subject: Self Introduction


Dear Professor Blackstone,


My name is Ahmad Yusri, and I am a first-year student in Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services). I am writing this email to introduce myself to you as one of your students from Effective Communications Tutorial Group 5.

Back in 2018, I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a Diploma in Clean Energy Management (CEM). Throughout my course of study, I have learned how engineering contributes to the advancement of technology and the development of mankind. This sparked a flame in me to pursue engineering. My experience handling vehicles in the army also further elevated my interest in the subject.

I am an open-minded person, and I dare say that I am also a good listener. These two aspects are my strengths when it comes to communication skills. I believe that there is as much wisdom in listening as there is in speaking. People tend to focus too much on what they have to say and often forget that understanding the other person can also be beneficial to communicating with one another.

On the other hand, my weakness would be my fear of public speaking. There are times where I am unable to fully express myself because I feel like I am not educated enough or am in the right position to speak about something. I tend to think that people will judge me for what I have to say, and this holds me back from speaking my mind.

My goal in this module is to work on my confidence to be able to speak publicly. Next, I would like to increase my vocabulary so that I can express my thoughts more accurately. I also hope that I can use my strengths to inspire my classmates to be better thinkers by being more open listeners.

I am looking forward to learning from you and my classmates. I am positive that the skills I will gain from this module will be useful for the rest of my life.


Best Regards,

Ahmad Yusri

Posts I've commented on:
Faizal
Khaider
Bari

Comments

  1. I feel that it is well-structured, and well-explained.
    The purpose of the letter, education background, strength and weakness, and goals are stated clearly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Dear Tin San,

      Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it.

      Yusri

      Delete
  2. Hi Yus, I find it interesting how your life has been consistently tasked with practical problems. Sounds like the stars are align for you to be a great engineer.

    I admire your honesty in your article but I feel that you should not doubt yourself and say that you feel uneducated as different individuals have different strengths.That being said, I believe that having confidence in yourself is key to achieving what you want to accomplish in this course.

    As a friend I hope that I am able to be of help to your development throughout this course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Syazwan,

      Thank you for reading my letter. I appreciate the encouragement. Looking forward to working with you, my brother.

      Cheers,

      Yusri

      Delete
  3. Hi Yus,

    Thank you for spending time to write this letter to introduce yourself. I definitely had a good read and managed to understand you even better through this letter . I love how the letter is easily comprehended and the flow is pretty fluent with distinct paragraphs for each main point. This helps the reader to understand the flow even better.

    I definitely agree with you that being a good listener is as important as being a good speaker and since the first day I met you , you have definitely showed me that. I hope that by the end of the course, you are able to achieve what you wanted ! It has been a pleasure knowing you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Faizal,

      Thank you for commenting on my letter. I value your kind comments. Hopefully we would both achieve our goals at the end of this module!

      Cheers,

      Yusri

      Delete
  4. Hi Yusri,

    Such a good read, thanking you taking the time to craft out such a letter. After reading the letter, it is clear to me that you’re someone who knows himself very well. I like how you made use of the phrase “I dare say that”, to me this shows confidence with humility. Even the portion about your weakness was well laid out, so i will mention this again that you’re someone who knows himself very well. I wish you all the best in achieving the improvements you’ve set for yourself.

    Once again thank you for the letter!
    -Khai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Khaider,

      Many thanks for your compliments. All the best to you too!

      Cheers,

      Yusri

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Yusri,

    This is a fine letter. In it you seem to state all the 'right things,' meaning you manage to convey a strong sense of self and others as you give value to listening, for example, and also, more indirectly, to the idea of humility as you explain how you feel that while you lack in knowledge, you see much to gain in understanding and absorbing the wisdom of others. These are all good thoughts.

    What I would like to see a bit more of in this letter is specific detail wedded to illustrations. In other words, in the area of public speaking, for example, what might be a topic that in the past you have had to present and you now feel that you didn't do an adequate job. When did you actually feel like others were judging you? Was this in school, or work or at home? How could you have made a stronger case for what you were presenting or talking about?

    In short, the only thing for me missing in this letter is some of the concerete detail we talk about in both the 7Cs (clarity, concreteness) and in the Paul-Elder framework (depth, precision).

    I look forward to reading more form you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thanks for taking the time to read my letter. I will take your comments into consideration and will improve my letter writing skills in the future. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me!

      Cheers,

      Yusri

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary Reader Response - Draft 2

Technical Report Draft 1